Sunday, January 28, 2007

Dear B4Bs, Take a tour around Tetuan.


TETUAN


THE WHITE DOVE



A lovely white Andalusian city set upon the Mediterranean Sea near Tangier, Tetuan traces its origins back to the 3rd century B.C. Then it was a settlement called Tamouda which existed until 42 A. D.. when it was destroyed by Roman armies.

When the Merinid sultan Abu Thabit constructed a kasbah at Tetuan in 1307, the Muslim city began to find its form. However, as a refuge for Barbary pirates, Tetuan drew the wrath of the Castilian king Henry III whose forces overran the city and sacked it in 1399.
For a century thereafter, Tetuan went into a period of decline until coming under the Andalusian influence of refugees from Granada. From 1484 the city took on some of the rich architectural and cultural character of Muslim Spain, traces of which can still be seen today.
In 1913 Tetuan became the capital of Spain's protectorate until independence in 1956.



Located in an agricultural area, modern Tetuan is a market center for the surrounding area where grain, livestock, citrus fruit and handicrafts are traded.
In addition, a variety of goods are manufactured in and around the city, including tobacco, soap, matches, building materials and textiles. The town's principal industries are printing, cabinet making and fish canning.

Tetuan/Asmir Association.

9 comments:

An said...

I simply LOVE it!!!!!!!!
An

testecarla said...

Dear Karim,

I loved to embark on this fantastic tour with you throughout your city! Did you take the photos? They're are great.

That's why I'm always impressed by the power of these online learning spaces, we learn every day about things, people, places, we had never heard before...

Thanks for blogging and sharing with us.

It is addictive, isn't it?


Just today I took lots of photos of Key West to blog about my experience here.

Hope to share with you soon.

Beijos,

Carla Arena

Mary H said...

Karim,
Thank you for sharing this tour with us! It is absolutely beautiful!

Mary H

Carla Raguseo said...

Excellent work, Karim!
Thanks a lot for this wonderful tour around your city. I'd like to show it to my students as soon as classes start in March.

Carla R. (from Argentina)

Nina Liakos said...

I enjoyed the text, the slides, and the map! Wonderful!

Hala said...

Hi Karim.Thanks for the fantastic virtual tour to you country. I am glad to be here to see how awesome your blog is growing!
Way to Go!
Hala Sudan

Nora said...

Dear Karim,
Fabulous tour !! It's fantastic to be able to learn and know about places so far away from my place. Nice slides and information,
Nora (from Argentina)

Maite Martinez Serra said...

Dear Karim,

I am a bit fustrated because I am absolutely unable to get in my yahoo account as well as to leave a message on your voicemail. I do hope at least I am able to share a couple of words here... You have done a really beautiful job...I have many times heard about Tetuan apparently my first grandmother's husband died there..they were both from Barcelona who knows maybe had it been differently I would have been born in Morocco myself...we ar so incredibly close! Jetzt auf Deutch...Deine Wörte auf meinem blog haben ja mit total gut gefallen. Es wäre ja auch nur gut genung gewesen Deine Ermutigung zu bekomme, troztem hast Du ja noch mir dazu eine Vision gegeben...ein Weg gezeit um weiterzuwachsen. Vielen Dank. Y ahora en español, tu Blog es realmente fantástico, un reto dificil de alcanzar pero a la vez, para alguien tan determinada como yo, un faro, a lighhouse, que me muestre un camino en el oceano blogosférico!
Besos y gracias,
Maite

Andropenis said...

Dear teacher,
I hope my message finds you in good health.Looking back over the years, I can’t believe how quickly time has flown.My thoughts flashed back to our class with you while I was preparing for BAC, life is really short and we have to make the most of it to live a worthy life,and so i have to shorten my message here.My gratitude goes to you, to my parents and to my teachers back at home as well as to all those I met here.
my regards
SHABAB mohamed
Madrid